Saturday, March 12, 2016

Illuminated Easter Eggs

Are you looking for filler for Easter eggs? Several years ago, I saw a fun idea from Play at Home Mom...illuminated Easter eggs! Little finger lights make excellent non-food filler for an egg hunt, perfect for groups where allergies are a concern or if you're trying to avoid yet another sugar-fueled holiday.


Although the original thought is to use them for an in-the-dark egg hunt, I found them great year-round for when my children woke up at Kid O'Clock in the morning (when it's dark, dark, dark). Instead of trying to hide under the covers when my kid flipped the light on at 5:15 a.m., I just turned on the finger lights in each egg and let the kiddos explore while I snuck in a few extra Zzzzzzzzs. My kids loved to shake them (just like the egg shakers from our music class) and look at the colorful glow.




Supplies you'll need:

Easter eggs. Make sure to get the translucent kind! These are usually the cheaper ones. The more expensive ones are mostly opaque and don't do a good job of letting light through. Learned this the hard way.

Finger lights. The Etekcity ones come in four colors, with the LED matching the plastic case. There are cheaper brands, but reviews complain of lots of duds right out of the box. You can sometimes snag a four pack in the dollar section at Walmart. Etekcity is cheaper by the each than the ones at Walmart if you are using them for a group or using leftovers as party favors. My kids were trying to steal them as we were filling our eggs!


No comments:

Post a Comment