Sunday, March 13, 2016

Pie for Pi Day

Tomorrow is 3/14! But to geeks such as myself, it is known as Pi Day! It is the perfect day to try to measure Pi for yourself and then eat pie to celebrate!

The annual question becomes what kind of pie to bake. Having recently made the best pie I have ever in my life tasted, I thought perhaps I should share the recipe. Honestly, I thought I hated pecan pie until we made this one from Smitten Kitchen a couple weeks ago. It is so amazing and worth the effort!

We did change it up a bit by making mini pies in muffin tins. It's definitely appropriate for a Pi day celebration to have lots of little circles, plus it makes it much easier to serve to kiddos. (Not to mention that it makes crust lovers do an extra little happy pie jig.) You'll need to double the dough recipe or halve the filling if you do make minis.



The recipes calls for golden syrup, which we could not get locally but can be found in U.S. grocery stores. I think this stuff is going to become a routine substitute as a sweetener in desserts. If you can't get it, you can try another simple syrup but I haven't tested that variation.

No comments:

Post a Comment