Friday, March 11, 2016

Favorite Book Friday #1: King Bidgood's in the Bathtub

I love children's literature, and it is a big part of our day, so I decided to start writing about some of our favorites. Each week I will profile one or more children's books. Here is my very first Favorite Book Friday.

Some of my favorite children's books are the ones that get my kids giggling. One of the giggliest books I've come across for preschool through early elementary is King Bidgood's in the Bathtub, by Audrey and Don Wood.



The story is a series of silly events introduced with brief text and illustrated with luscious oil paintings.

The premise is that a page boy tries to enlist the help of the court to finally get King Bidgood out of his soaking tub. The courtiers, dressed in their finery, each try to help--but end up all wet! Lunch time? Let's eat in the tub! Fishing? But of course! A masquerade ball? Marvelous. In the end, where the court falls short, the page boy comes through with a fail-proof plan.

Kids love the absurd situations, the realistic facial expressions of the soaked grown-ups contrasted with the mischievous king, and seeing a kid triumph in the end. The art is amazing, so detailed and with a knack for portraying personality that really adds to the story. No wonder it was a Caldecott Honor book!

No comments:

Post a Comment